Friday, August 19, 2011

Going or staying

I've spent the last few years doing a lot of thinking, studying and teaching about transitions. Understanding the transitions of our lives, especially those of us who are officers or move often, is so important. Of course, moving isn't the only kind of transition. Perhaps more difficult to work through are the 'stages of life' transitions.

Recently, I've recognized that I need stability in the midst of the transitions. I don't know if it's become so critical for me because of the stage of life I'm in - hit a milestone age, the reality that I will most likely never marry or have children(definitely won't have children), or because I'm in my 4th home in the last 4 years. For whatever reason, I've been seeking stability.

I'm reading a book called "The Wisdom of Stability". The context is a community of believers in an urban setting, who are committed to staying there. But the basic principles, I hope, will help me find what I'm looking for. You will see some of the more thought-provoking and challenging quotes randomly on my Facebook page. That's it for now. I'm not sure where this is going or where it will lead. This I know for sure, God is my foundation and it is and will be all about Him.

9 comments:

Major Judy said...

I read your post with interest - every area of my life seems to be on the 'move, home, ministry, family - 10 years ago I would have viewed this with excitment at 49 I just want one area to be stable/settled - thankfully God is my unshaking rock.. God bless you, Judyx

Ibrahim Abdullah said...

I too, read this post and found it thought provoking.As said, God is the foundation of all of us.Although I am a muslim , but i agree with your perspective . Your post also hints towards Plato's 'Theory Of Forms'.

David said...

Hey, I just came across this blog by hitting the next button on Google. I thought I would recommend a book that helped me enormously and helped me find peace in any moment with God. I hope it helps you as much as it helped me!

"Searching for and Maintaining Peace: A Small Treatise on Peace of Heart."

Keith Bailey said...

Good thoughts Evie. We have been looking forward to a time when we will find a more permanent home, on earth anyway.We have not moved as much as you (six appointment in almost 27 years) but we are still looking forward to the day when we will find permanance.

I believe we move too much. It has had a negative effect on our congregations in my opinion. I believe all the moving is a reason our Corps are so small.The one negative our daughter brings up about her childhood is the moving.

looking forward to reading your thoughts.

Evie said...

David, I have read that little book and found it very helpful.

Keith, This is such a difficult subject. You are absolutely right and I know that administration takes this very seriously. In these last two years, I've learned that it's much harder to achieve than I imagined. It is in our culture and needs to be addressed at all levels.

On this topic of transition, I'm putting together a class for CBLI. Should be interesting.

123 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
sovereignfunding1021 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Overthinking Mama said...

Good luck and God bless you with your journey!! I will say a prayer that you will find your stability in the midst of change.


Overthinking Mama
www.overthinkingmama.com
www.mysecrectclosetonline.com

fifa-coin said...

Depending on your Combat and Slayer levels, fight any of the giants, demons and dragons.Clear the Slayer caves and towers. These contain powerful monsters available only to members with the Slayer skill--their drops can sell for 25,000 or more with rare items worth millions of RuneScape gold.
Cheap fifa 15 coins

Fut 15 coins