Sunday, June 26, 2011

Lessons from Numbers

I'm going to try blogging again. I've missed writing, as these days I rarely write more than an email or a hundred. There are some lessons I've been learning in this new role that I would like to 'process' in this venue. Carefully, of course, as I can't break confidences or let on when I don't know what I'm doing.

This month I started reading the book of Numbers. I'm not sure why I chose it but as I've been reading, I know why the Lord wanted me to read it. There are so many lessons about leadership. Today I was struck with several from Numbers 10. Someday they may become a sermon or a teaching series. For now, they are just some thoughts.

First and most significant, Always be aware of God's presence with me and going before me. This is a truth that is hard for me to understand. It's about God as God. He is here and He is where I will be tomorrow. What comfort I find in that reality.

Then there are the practical lessons, such as Be sure to give clear directions and Be organized. Both so important and not always easy to accomplish.

And finally and for me the most difficult, Have a mentor close by. Moses said to his father-in-law, "Please do not leave...you can be our eyes." We all need someone to help us see where we should go. I certainly do.

5 comments:

Evie said...

I should note that I was joking when I said I can't let on when I don't know what I'm doing. Well, mostly.

Major Carolyn said...

"The Lord bless you and keep you. The Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you.
The Lord turn his face towards you and give you peace."

Thank you for bloging.

Ruminations of a Contradictory Mind said...

The reality of your first bit of insight was something I know, but needed to be reminded of. Thank you for you words of wisdom. I am following you and look forward to future blogs. Thank you and God bless.

Anonymous said...

I think blogging sometimes help to clarify our own thoughts. I read something recently that I've been mulling over. 'What is it about God that I love? Why do I love God?
Surely it's not just because of what He gives me..Although He blesses me abundantly. Putting our thoughts into words helps.
As always, I'm praying for you.
Wilma

KodeKodeKode said...

first you must trust your God. second you must trust your God, third your must trust your God. :D