Sunday, January 03, 2010

Social Butterfly or Introvert

When I was a young officer, my leader called me a social butterfly. He is one of my mentors and friends. He also is an introvert. I was never sure if he meant that as a tease or was in awe of my extroverted nature. Being social and everyone's friend was a priority for me for a long time. That got me into trouble! Now, I still like people. But as I've gotten older, I find myself looking for more time to myself. I've always found that I get energized by people. Now, it seems to be the reverse. I need time alone to have energy for being with people. I don't think there is anything wrong with either personality trait. Maybe I'm learning balance in my maturity and through experience. I certainly don't think I'm a 'social butterfly' anymore. And making sure everyone likes me is not my goal in life. I think it's a good thing to find a balance between being with people and being on my own. It seems to be more like how Jesus lived His life here.

So here's my question for those who read this. What about you? Social butterfly, hermit or mixture? Has your personality changed over the years?

Today the sermon was about the Magi's encounter with Jesus. Matthew 2:12 says after they had seen Jesus they chose another route (my translation.) The preacher said 'we can never go back once we've worshipped Jesus.' I want to live this way every day. First of all, being with Jesus and then going forward to new 'routes'. Happy New Year! Spend time with Jesus and move forward!

3 comments:

Zoe said...

Hiya, strange you should write about this as in my last few Review and Evaluation documents I've been referred to as quiet not something I would have called myself in the past!! It strange how we change over time! Great to hear from you & Happy New Year! Zx

Lesa said...

I think I'll go with introvert ... but you probably already know that. And since you asked, I also think that the term has a bad reputation in the Army. There seems to be a negative connotation to it (such as when reviewing officers point it out as a weakness!), as if "introvert" is a synonym for antisocial. As a group, we value action and noise far more than reflection and depth.

Not that I'm defensive or anything!

Trev said...

I've found that most people want to be extroverts, and are attracted to other extroverts. I am an introvert, and most people tell me i'm stuck up, have a "bad vibe that says don't talk to me" or generally stupid because i don't say much. I've always been this way, and i don't see myself changing anytime soon. i think people like having extroverts around because they can follow someone and feel cool without having to contribute anything, while the extrovert himself is feeding off other's attention instead of being who they are for the sake of being themselves...